Fifth Annual Conference of the Institute for East and Southeast European Studies
29 June – 1 July 2017, IOS Regensburg.
Seminarreihe des Arbeitsbereichs Ökonomie am IOS
Zeit: Dienstag, 13.30–15.00 Uhr
Ort: WiOS, Landshuter Str. 4 (Raum 109)
Programm Sommer 2017
Archive and Library of Erik Amburger
In addition to a card index of individuals containing 100,000 entries, the historian and genealogist Erik Amburger (1907–2001) bequeathed almost 3,000 genealogies and an extensive library.
Otto Böss Papers
From 1967 to 1992, the historian Dr. Otto Böss (1929–1994) headed the library at the East European Institute in Munich. His work focused, among other subject areas, on Russian/Soviet intellectual history and the preparation of information guides on East and Southeast European studies. His bequest contains material for a book on the history of stenography in Russia.
Bequest from Hedwig Fleischhacker and Hans Uebersberger
Hedwig Uebersberger, born Fleischhacker, (1906–1978) was a historian and writer; her research focused on Russian history of the 17th and 18th centuries. From 1940, she was married to Hans Uebersberger (1877–1962), a professor in Vienna specializing in Russian modern history.
Library of Irene Grüning
Irene Grüning (1900–1955) was born in Saint Petersburg and emigrated to Berlin after the revolution in 1917, where she became a student of Otto Hoetzsch. After World War II, she became a teacher at the University of Munich. Her library, acquired by the East European Institute (today the Institute for East and Southeast European Studies) in 1956, consists of 500 volumes, mainly on Russian history.
Papers of Otto Hoetzsch
Otto Hoetzsch (1876–1946) was a scholar and politician of the German National People's Party (DNVP). In the 1920s, he founded what later became the German Association for East European Studies (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Osteuropakunde – DGO) and the journal ‟Osteuropa" (East Europe). He maintained close contacts in the Soviet Union. Among the papers kept at the Institute for East and Southeast European Studies is an unpublished, though apparently incomplete, manuscript on the life and work of Alexander I.
Library of Gerasimos Kaklamanis
Gerasimos Kaklamanis (1940–2003) was born on the Ionian island Lefkada in Greece and spent most of his life in France and Germany. He studied mathematics, philosophy and history in Athens and Paris. Throughout his life he worked as a freelance writer. His literary work consists of seven books in the Greek language. The book ‟I Anatoliki Mesogeios Os Europaiki Istoria" (Tomos 1) can be regarded as his most important work.
The central concern of his academic and political work was to use his publications to draw attention to the particular importance of the Mediterranean region as a bridge between Europe and the Middle East. With critical and analytical questions, he addressed the region's interrelations and their consequences for global policies in the past, present and future. Because he often opposed the ruling political conditions in his home country, Kaklamanis, like many Greek intellectuals, spent most of his life abroad.
His writing activities also led him over 40 years to build up a private library with about 5,000 books, mostly on the subject of the Mediterranean region. The library consists of books in German (60 %), Greek (30 %) and French (10 %).
Bequest from and Library of Hans Koch
Hans Koch (1894–1959) was the first director of the East European Institute in Munich from 1952 to 1959. The historian and theologist from Lviv worked as a professor in Wroclaw and Königsberg. During World War II, he worked for the German authorities in Ukraine, which was fiercely fought over in campaigns characterized by genocide. His library consisting of 1,400 volumes (among which were 1,000 books and 400 bundles of brochures on all regions of East and Southeast Europe) was acquired in 1960 by the East European Institute (today the Institute for East and Southeast European Studies). The material bequeathed by him contains documents on the history of the East European Institute in Wroclaw and the prehistory and history of the East Europe Institute in Munich from its incorporation until 1959. Further documents pertain to his activities in Königsberg, Wroclaw and Vienna.
Library of Carl Patsch
The scholar Carl Patsch (1865–1945) initially worked in Sarajevo, where he established the Bosnian-Herzegovinian Institute of Balkan Studies in 1904. In 1921, he succeeded Konstantin Josef Jirečeks at the University of Vienna. His 1,400-volume library, acquired in 1956 by the Institute for Southeast European Studies (today the Institute for East and Southeast European Studies), mainly consists of literature on the regions of the Western part of the Balkan Peninsula.
Library of Franz von Scheiger
In 1962, the library of the Institute for Southeast European Studies (today the Institute for East and Southeast European Studies) acquired the 500-volume bequest of the engineer and diplomat Franz von Scheiger (1891–1960). The focus of his collection was on the history of Albania and its neighboring countries. The collection also included numismatic literature.
Library of Fritz Valjavec
Fritz Valjavec (1909–1960) worked at the Institute for Southeast European Studies from 1935 and was its director from 1955 until his death. He had great influence not only on the history of the Institute for Southeast European Studies but also on Southeast European studies as a discipline. For instance, he established the Southeast Europe Association (SOG) and the journal ‟Südost-Forschungen". During World War II, he worked for the intelligence service in Bukovina. His library (2,300 volumes) reflects the research areas of his scholarly life. It comprises literature on the history of the countries of the Habsburg Monarchy, focusing especially on the German components of the populations.